Thursday, January 1, 2009

The (Im)moral of the Story

Answers In Genesis reviews Will Smith's new movie.

The popular culture is infused with beliefs contrary to the Book of Genesis (and the Bible in general), and it’s not just the high-profile debate over origins that regularly plays out in society. Take Seven Pounds, the latest movie by box-office megastar Will Smith, which was number two at the box office when released just before Christmas. Television commercials continue to proclaim that the movie is “the perfect holiday gift.” Smith, as co-producer, is also banking on his considerable charm plus the promise of a movie about redemption and selfless giving to lure moviegoers during the holidays.

Yet what audiences end up watching is a film that makes suicide look noble—though the gruesome way the protagonist kills himself could not be described as glorifying suicide. For whatever inspirational and altruistic moments there might be in the movie (which may have prompted the producers to time its release for Christmas), it has some very dark moments, especially at the end. While unwary theatergoers might hear about the film’s apparent heartwarming story of the unselfish acts of Smith’s character, this is by no means light holiday fare.

Seven Pounds tells the story of a man who decides that life is not worth living anymore. His deep emotional distress comes from both guilt and grief, and as he descends more and more into self-absorption, he kills himself to alleviate his suffering. At the film’s beginning, you sympathize with this tormented soul and are moved by his altruistic acts toward many strangers. Even before he kills himself, Will Smith’s character donates body parts so that others can live; his suicide provides additional body parts so that others (including one who turns out to be his love interest) can live.

Read the article HERE

Our soul waits for the LORD; He is our help and our shield. For our heart shall rejoice in Him, Because we have trusted in His holy name. Let Your mercy, O LORD, be upon us, Just as we hope in You (Psalm 33:20–22).

4 comments:

Great Grany 5 said...

Mac, thanks for the movie review! I was considering getting the tickets to take hubby as an out of the ordinary venture but I don't think I will spend my money on it after all.

Like your blog site and also, I did the Constance blog and really enjoyed reading there. Also, doing some diggin into a new book I was gifted with on my birthday. On eschatology and it is great.

Talking to you later.

Wilma

Alf Cengia said...

Thanks for the comment Wilma.

Constance is currently experiencing some of the same problems that Joel did before he disabled comments. She could use some prayers.

Did you notice that ATTY posted a few comments as well?

Great Grany 5 said...

Mac, after I read your response to me, I went back to Constance's blog and looked for Grumpy. Then I remembered he goes by ATTY. I know ATTY is searching for the right answers to his eschatology questions and I am still praying for him to gain that insight from Abba and Him only.

I will add Constance to my prayer list and Mac, if I am not as apparent on the Cave blog it is because I too am doing a lot of digging in God's Word for the questions I was asked while in Missouri during the Holidays.

God is moving and people's hearts, minds and souls are being challenged like never before. During a prayer service at the local Baptist church, the one I was saved in, the question came up about "What is going on in the World that feels so different?". The pastor, who is very young and just out of seminary, said quite simply "God is moving the Hands of Eschatology in a way that we have never seen before". Then the discussion on events such as Russia and Iran joined together in a common pact, Turkey getting ready to scuttle the relationship with Israel and Obama. Of all my years associations with this church they have been more likely to stick their heads in the sand and pretend it isn't affecting them.

Times are changing and people's hearts are being tested and tried like never before. Mine included! Do I really know what I think I know or have I been sucked into an American Jesus belief also? I am digging and praying like never before and I know that I know Abba will provide the truth of His word if I am diligent and submitted.

Well, time to get with the daily program. Nearly 10:30 a.m. here in Okieland and I am really behind schedule.

My new Christmas book is one by Dwight Pentecost and I only get to read it at night while Jim is watching TV. I am still in the Introduction but hopefully I will get to the Preface tonight.

Take care and have a great day in the Lord. I know you must be sleeping right now but when you get this look in the mirror and tell that image looking back at you, "Wilma says I am all that God has made and he is a master craftsman!".

Shalom friend
Grany

Alf Cengia said...

Thanks for praying for Constance - her blog represents her life's passion and mission and some are seem intent to derail it.

I think as world events develop and things that we've talked about are slowly being realized, it's only natural that we search within and question. I'm not sure what the definition of the American Jesus is but I'm reading John MacArthur at the moment - a man on fire for the Lord - and his fire makes me uncomfortable about myself! And this is a good thing!

As for eschatology, I'll be the first to admit to almost ignorance. I hope the Lord comes quickly and pretrib and I can make a pretty good academic case for it - but I rest upon the fact that He is comming regardless of whatever else happens to me. That really excites me!

BTW, I don't think you can go too far wrong with Dwight Pentecost.

Enjoy your time in His Word.

Thanks for everything, Wilma.

As Nate says, Sha-alu Shalom Yerushalayim.